Friday, January 22, 2010

Update on the Novel



I am currently undergoing a major rewrite of the rough draft of my novel. The current working title is "The Shepherd of the Damned." I wish I could take full credit for the title but I can't. It comes from a song by Breaking Benjamin.

As of right now, I am on Chapter Four and the story is taking a completely different direction than the original. I am becoming a firm believer in rewriting and revising because the story has only gotten better. A friend of mine said that this rewrite is of a "higher caliber" than the rough draft. I am very excited for this change. This rewrite will be the last as far as major revamping. After this I am going to go back and fix the errors and then send it off to publishers. This has been a long and arduous process but one that will pay off in the end. Hopefully.

Above is the latest mock cover I made. A big part of the rewrite has been the change of setting. Instead of taking place mostly in Middlebury, Vermont it now takes place in Bradenton, Florida. This is a move that makes sense in several ways. 1) I've never been to Middlebury, VT. 2) I lived in Bradenton for six months so I am more familiar with the area. 3) Middlebury College, I found, will not work because they require their students to live on campus. That just won't work with my story. It will be interesting to have a vampire story in the Sunshine state. The irony!

No comments:

Post a Comment