Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hothouse Flower


Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Exotic Plants

I was on Goodreads awhile ago and saw an advertisement for this book then I read the synopsis on that site and decided I should give it a whirl. So I bought it the next time I went to Barnes and Noble and figured I would read it after I finished The Passage. We all know how well that one turned out so I got to start this one sooner than I thought.

Now this is a good book. It has romance, humor, wisdom, drama, a little action, and great characters. The main character is a young New Yorker and a newly divorced woman trying to recreate her life. Right away, in Chapter One, we see her sarcastic wit which is endearing and had me hooked. The whole book is written from her perspective so we get a lot of her witty comments that add a nice flavor to the book.

This may be a stretch but I actually found myself comparing Berwin's book to The Alchemist. While others may not agree with me I definitely see a connection. Both books have little gems of wisdom throughout.

One thing I thoroughly enjoyed was the myths of the nine plants and how Armand teaches Lila, the main character, how to think of plants in a different way. They treat plants as if they are human and have personalities. It is quite a beautiful thing and changed my perspective on the world a little bit.

I would recommend this book to anyone! I give it 4.5 of 5 exotic plants. I only docked it because the ending was sort of a letdown but that might just be my personal opinion. Read it and see what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment