Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Hunt for a Literary Agent

So I decided that I should get the ball rolling on getting published. I feel somewhat of a time crunch before I head off to basic. I'm not sure how much time I will be able to devote to my writing once I am in the Navy. While my manuscript isn't quite done, I don't think it hurts to get my voice out there and see if anybody bites.

I have chosen to go the agent route simply because that usually eliminates some hefty obstacles. It actually opens a lot of doors that would, otherwise, be locked down. Agents are kind of a middle man for writers. You sell the book idea to them, they essentially represent you as they go to publishers to see if anyone will take it. While a downfall of going this route is that you will always have someone to share percentage with (I'm not entirely sure how it all works, so don't quote me on any of this unless you know more than me and can correct me in my wrongs), but, for a lifelong dream, I'm willing to part with a perecentage of a pittance in order to fulfill that dream.

This week I have submitted 17 query letters to 17 different agents. I've heard back from four so far. Those are still good odds. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment