Friday, November 5, 2010

Who Knew?

Hey, so I have to share some little tidbits of insight that I just learned.

1. This is thanks to Clinton Kelly who is co-host on TLC's What Not to Wear. He has a new book called Oh No She Didn't. I found it at Barnes and Noble the other day and flipped through it. Now, I like to think that I have some fashion sense and it is only getting better as I get older. I am still learning how to dress my body type which can be a challenge sometimes because a) I'm short and b) I'm pretty square. Anyway, inside of this little book he talks about colors a little bit and he answers the question if you can put black and brown together. If anyone knows my mom you know that she cringes whenever someone even suggests putting brown and black together. According to Kelly, brown and black "go." As long as the brown is like a milk chocolate brown and doesn't blend too much with the black. Go figure. And apparently lighter navy blue can be worn with black as well. The one I will never, ever let go is brown and gray. That just looks nasty.

2. I read an article in LDS Living magazine about the "winter blues." If you know me, you know I despise winter especially that obnoxious, cold, white stuff that falls from the sky. Pretty much if I could live somewhere that did not have winter, I would do it in a heartbeat. Anyway, I wouldn't say I necessarily get full-blown Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD...the acronym is so fitting, clever people), but I do get the grumps. Anyway, in this article it gave some ways to fight the winter blues. One of the ways is to get rid of winter blues is to decrease melatonin which is, usually, decreased with sunlight. Naturally it decreases in our body when the sun comes up which is why we usually wake up when the sunlight hits the window for awhile. I did not know this. I knew melatonin was in milk and it's a sleeping agent but I had no idea that it was a natural, scientifically researched, actual occurrence that increases in the winter because we don't get as much sunlight during the winter. Now I can understand why I am usually so much sleepier in the winter time. There are lamps that you can get that will help you decrease the melatonin in your system so you can be more chipper.

There ya go.

2 comments:

  1. I heart Clinton Kelly. Would love to take him shopping with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a dress that has brown and black in it that I LOVE!

    and...

    Do you remember your dad's cousin Mary Kay? When she lived in Alaska, she would go tanning at least once a week during the winter to stay happy. While I generally don't believe in using tanning beds (for myself; you can do what you want.), I TOTALLY GET THAT.

    P.S. the word verification for posting this is "untrecki." Does this word mean you don't like Star Trek?

    ReplyDelete