Wednesday, May 20, 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine


And here's another review. (May contain spoilers)

I went to Wolverine:Origins the other day. It was entertaining. Maybe I wasn't on top of my game or maybe the writing was just good, but I was taken by surprise at the end. There are a couple elements at the end that are meant to be twists. Now, the ending I was expecting because, if you know anything about Wolverine, you know he doesn't exactly have a clue as to who he is when he gets to Charles Xavier.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised at how well-done this movie was. The 3rd X-Men movie was a disappointment. While there were great elements in that movie, I was disappointed in how everyone died. Yeah...That wasn't supposed to happen. That being said, I love how this Origins movie ties into the first X-Men movie as Logan begins to wander. Which is where the next movie picks up and we first see him fighting in an underground boxing match. It fits almost seamlessly.

I enjoyed the action scenes. Gambit was fun to watch. They did an excellent job on him. I'm glad they chose a lesser known actor to play him because it seemed no one could agree on who should play him.

I don't have any qualms with this movie besides the sometimes cheesy shots where Hugh Jackman is just flexing and roaring. While he does an excellent job and, man, he bulked up a lot for the role, I found myself just laughing rather than being impressed.

And my other qualm is the Wade/Deadpool thing. I love Ryan Reynolds. He's awesome. And the scene where he deflects bullets with these swords is hecka cool. But I think they should have brought him in more if he was going to be a key point at the end.

Another enjoyable thing about the movie is the insight into the relationship between Wolverine and Sabretooth. I always knew there was a rivalry there. Had no idea it was sibling rivalry. It was executed very well with Liev Schreiber and Hugh Jackman playing off each other really well. Their love/hate for each other was very believable.

That's that, then. I love X-Men and I look forward to more installments.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to all, friend. And I may have a crush on Hugh Jackman--even with the cheesy scenes. But as my friend (38, married w/kids) says, "WHO DOESN'T??"

    ReplyDelete