Monday, August 23, 2010

Playing Games

So I was going on my merry way (yes, I just used "merry" in a regular sentence. Deal with it.) thinking life was going fantastically swell. No, this is not the beginning of a fairy tale or anything like that. I realize that first sentence, without the parenthetical, was pretty cheesy. Ok, even with the parentheses. Sheesh, get off my back.

Anyway, on with the story.

I just got a new phone that I love. It's a Motorola Droid X2. It is such a fantastic little smart phone and I am constantly learning new little things it can do. However, this is not the point of the story. Just a little side information.

On my new phone you can do apps, games, get on the internet, all sorts of joyous things. Today my mom informed me that there were some weird charges on my card (we have a joint account...sorta...so she can see my activity on my card which is both a good thing and a bad thing...). Puzzled, I quickly went to check my account online and, sure enough, there were some mysterious charges from RuneScape.com.

Wtf?

If you look up RuneScape.com you see that it is this weird role-playing game thing. Something I probably would have done in high school but not in a million years would I do it now.

There were $100.00 worth of charges made to my debit card from this place! So I quickly called my bank and got that all straightened out. I feel good that we caught it in time but I'm just sick to my stomach at the thought of someone knowing my card information.

So there ya go. I don't understand how people can think it's okay to get access to someone's hard-earned money and use it to play freakin' online games.

The reason I brought up my new phone is because, at first, I thought it was Verizon giving me hidden charges and I was actually being charged every time I used an app. Call me paranoid. Turns out, though, that it was not Verizon doing it.

Moral of the story: People are dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment