Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dreamfever


Rating: 4.5 out of 5 IFPs

When the walls between Man and Fae come crashing down, freeing the insatiable, immortal Unseelie from their icy prison, MacKayla Lane is caught in a deadly trap. Captured by the Fae Lord Master, she is left with no memory of who or what she is: the only sidhe-seer alive who can track the Sinsar Dubh, a book of arcane black magic that holds the key to controlling both worlds.

Clawing her way back from oblivion is only the first step Mac must take down a perilous path, from the battle-filled streets of Dublin to the treacherous politics of an ancient, secret sect, through the tangled lies of men who claim to be her allies into the illusory world of the Fae themselves, where nothing is as it seems—and Mac is forced to face a soul-shattering truth.

Who do you trust when you can’t even trust yourself?


I was so astounded by this installment. To me, it is the best one so far because things actually start happening and questions start getting answered. Bad thing is, however, that with all the new answers come new questions. And, can I just say, holy cliffhanger at the end, Batman! I threw the book across the bed when I finished the last sentence. Good thing Shadowfever comes out in just a couple weeks.

In this book, we find a MacKayla who is darker, stronger, and much more reliable a heroine than she has ever been. It is a welcome change, I think. While she spends a lot of time bemoaning the loss of her innocence, I find that I like her this way better. She is finally living up to her role as the great sidhe-seer who could save the world.

Also, we see more of the Book/Beast than we have ever seen before which is nice. Finally! Three books of practically nothing ever happening and now we finally make some leeway.

Even though this is the best book so far I still have issues with the writing. It's often too simplistic and immature for my tastes. But I let it slide because the story is exciting and it is a total fluff read. I guess that really shouldn't be grounds for letting it go. However, the writing in this book is the best it's been in the series. A conundrum. And probably a big reason why I like this book the most.

The cliffhanger: While I hated it, it was probably one of the best ones I've seen in a long time in a book. Kudos to you, Ms. Moning!

All right. I have gushed about this book enough. Here's to the next few weeks of waiting with bated breath for the final installment where we will finally get all our questions answered! I have given it 4.5 out of 5 IFPs (Read the books to find out what an IFP is).

No comments:

Post a Comment