Monday, January 9, 2012

Clockwork Prince

Rating: 4 out of 5 Magical Opium Dens
 
It seems fitting that my 300th post on my blog should be a book review. Not just any book review, but a book review for Cassandra Clare's latest book Clockwork Prince, which is her newest installment in the Infernal Devices series. 
 
When I read Clockwork Angel  I have to admit it took me awhile to warm up to the characters. I fell in love so quickly and easily with Clary, Jace, and all the characters in The Mortal Instruments series that it was hard for me to wrap my mind around other characters in the same universe. I'm not even sure if that makes sense. However, this book sealed the deal for me. I am fully invested in the characters now and must find out what happens next. It definitely takes a talented writer with a keen eye to be able to create characters you can still love just as much as the originals. 
 
I still find similarities between the characters of both series and I think that's what bugged me about the first book. They each seemed like carbon copies of The Mortal Instruments characters with just some minor changes. I may re-read my review of Clockwork Angel to see if I had the same idea then. Jace and Will are both brooding, troubled, and heartbreakingly beautiful young men who somehow win the affection of the leading lady. Clary and Tessa are both beauties in their own ways who feel out of sorts and are trying to get used to the world of magic still. Jessamine and Isabella are both snotty but lovable.
 
The similarities fade with this the second installment of the series and I think that's why I started to like the characters more. They seemed to be coming more into their own and I wonder if it's also because Clare herself has become more acquainted with them. Jem is not near as likeable in this novel, and I'm not sure why. He's supposed to be sympathetic when he actually, to me, comes across as whiny and self-piteous. We learn more about Will and why he is the way he is and I find that I am rooting for him to win Tessa's heart. 
 
Say what you want about Cassandra Clare, she can write a damn good love triangle. This one is a doozy! There's a part where Tessa thinks out her choices and you find that it's a just not a good situation for any of them. I won't spoil anything. 
 
As far as action in this book...there's not a whole lot of it. I felt like the climax was a little weak and Mortmain probably could have made an appearance somehow toward the end. 
 
So now I will sort of patiently wait for the next installment. I'm assuming she will release the 5th book in the Mortal Instruments series before she finishes up this one. The suspense is killing me, Cassandra Clare! I gave this book 4 out of 5 Magical Opium Dens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment